View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
I don't find it intimidating at all--it certainly exudes a power and intensity, yet (in the most recent renders I linked to a few posts up) I still find it inviting. Considering the sheer bulk of a building made up of 7 towers--which individually would be a large building in any city--all on one podium, the disign is realatively gracefull. They've certainly made an effort to maximize views, for example the towers in front are triangular.

It serves to inspire awe, and succeeds at housing thousands under one roof in a location which attracts millions. Where I might critique it is whether it is appropriate for the place. This is afterall a building which will cater to the upper classes, not to the masses. Perhaps there are only 800 parking spaces because most guests will arrive by limo or helicopter. There really is a thin line between the ostentatious spirituality meant for this structure and the kingdoms of gambling found in Vegas. Oddly, this building would not look out of place on the strip IMO. Then there's the 4 story shopping mall across the street from a holy shrine--maybe they will only have stores selling religious goods? Good timeless architecture reflects a local sense of place and I'm not convinced WRT this structure. Perhaps a Muslim who has experienced the Haaj(sp?)/Mekkah would be in a better position to answer.
I'd Agree