View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
oh dear, i read through that link, and i kid you not, this is a direct quote from it:

and stuff? has the president of SOAR been replaced by a 12 year old?
I guess this building is okay for a thread even though it doesn't surpass 600'? Cool. Can we get the name of the building right, though?

Anyway, SOAR's exact wording was:
Quote:
The south wall of your project that faces lower Illinois should be brightened, bring light to the sidewalk, and make lower Illinois a safe and attractive street for pedestrians. We ask that you consider ideas such as murals, sculpture, and use of light to brighten up this area.
Nothing about changing the black tint of the glass. SOAR wants Hovey to think about how his design will bring light to Lower Illinois and enrich the pedestrian experience down there. Since St. Clair is an active, pedestrian retail street that shouldn't have huge dark zones along it, this makes sense. Maybe they could rebuild the sidewalk on Upper Illinois with vault lights?

Actually, this is quite an enlightened critique of the building. Every point SOAR raises is totally, completely valid. Hovey can and should switch to a black spandrel glass for the north elevation of the garage levels. (Black anodized aluminum panels would also be sick...)

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM.