View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
That TTI report is bogus. Here are three different articles that explain why. They completely ignore transit, even in New York. They rank 20 minute commutes as "worse" than hour-long commutes. About 1/3 of its estimated congestion "costs" simply reflect motorists reducing their speeds to what is legal.

It's cherry-picked highway expansion propaganda, not serious data.
On the whole you're wrong. I could ridicule the T4America writer but it's not worth the space.

I like David Alpert's piece but DC/NoVa exists in its own cocoon. Good for them. They're doing a lot right. One question: With respect to "Denseopolis" he makes no guess as to whether that's applicable to 50% of commuters, 25%, 10% or what? I'll yield though to any arguments relative to DC/NYC.

Let's look at the rest of the map. ----Putting on conservative hat----
HERE's an example of how Atlanta is trying to land the new GE headquarters. Little Birmingham AL recently secured a new $billion auto parts facility from a manufacturer for Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen plants. Oklahoma City may be feeling the ill effects of oil & gas but do enjoy the growing R&D Boeing Co. footprint. It's becoming quite an impressive campus.

Just a few recent examples of the ongoing migration to the south. It's where most of the economic growth is occurring aside from the gateway cities. I respect the gleaming Chicago downtown but Greater Chicago is experiencing net out-migration. Phoenix would know as Chicago is currently their top source for in-migration.

Point being that the cities where most of the growth is occurring are more likely to have grown on a multi-nodal, sprawl model. Good or bad it is what it is.

The intent and purpose of the TTI report was to analyze freeway traffic congestion. On the whole I'd say it does that well. What they didn't do is largely irrelevant to what their intent was. What policy makers choose to do as a result if anything is a different question. I'd assume it just confirms what local leaders already know anyway. Your links may have some "nice ideas" but policymakers living in reality have a different reality to confront.