View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
I have noticed that there have been a lot of tall proposals closer and closer to the Empire State Building. Is it only a matter of time before Empire State is seen as one of many tall buildings in the area, the way Woolworth is in Lower Manhattan? I love the proposals that have come out, but I wonder if they will change the way we view Empire State. I can't help but worry that we may lose something when it comes to the way we perceive Empire State.
The Empire State will still be the Empire State because of its history. All of the towers being planned for Manhattan's west side will be of similar height, but none will dominate in the way the Empire State did.

This is an example of how the ESB would compare with a built out west side (railyard proposal is not the current proposal, but of similar height). What's missing is the Hotel Penn tower and it's neighbor accross 7th Ave that will be in the 1100 - 1200 ft range...

I think we need a couple of spires in the mix.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.