View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 11:51 PM

I don't think so.

First, GMT-B won't be open until 2022 at the earliest. The traffic is bad on the AFB today, and will only get worse during construction. An interchange could be built is a pretty short time (Nelson sure was).

Second, the 91 is still an important trucking corridor connecting the 99 (US border) with industrial lands in Delta and on Annacis Island (and a lesser extent in South Burnaby). The upgrade to the Queensborough interchange (and Howes) was part of the moving goods to the border package, which the 72nd interchanged was going to be a part of but was called off until the parties agree on a design. Finishing the 72nd is an important part of that plan (regardless of the tolls on the GMT-B).

The AFB/91 also serves a route not served by the GMT. SOF to South Burnaby. The GMT and AFB don't exactly duplicate and it's not like everyone travelling has an either or choice.

After the GMT-B is built I also think the congestion around the AFB and on the E-W connector will get so bad that if they kept the light, traffic would back up onto the 99 and mess with people going to pay the toll.

Putting in an interchange also makes it easier to get to the toll bridge if you want to bypass the congestion and live in NorSurDel.

But I do think we should put a toll on trucks on the AFB to help pay for all these upgrades over the years, and to help keep trucks from taking the long way around to bypass tolls.