View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Perhaps most importantly Broadway is the precursor to a full UBC extension something which I think everyone can agree is a huge deal!
The UBC extension is Broadway Phase 2... I think it will be built before the Surrey LRT, since I don't think even Translink likes it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
As for the viaducts going down, that is actually the reverse for me, the biggest loos in the city. Nothing they are doing wasn't already planned / not able to be done with keeping them in place. The huge sprawling green patch of a park they are proposing will completely bisect Vancouver's urban space. Except for the small area around the stadiums, what they are planning is the most sterile and boring urban project I have seen in our city, ever.
I think the park could help attract more investment to the West Hastings area, and would be a nice accessory to Chinatown. Maybe set a section off as an "Asian Style" park to fit with the general theme.

There's also an abandoned factory in the viaduct area near False Creek. I hope they keep it- the Granville Island-esque 'overgrown' neo-industrial style would fit well too. As long as it's structurally stable enough to keep around. I really hope so, or at least be able to be salvaged.

That alone would make the park a lot less boring. I really hope a good park designer comes around and sees the potential in building a decently sized park around 3 VERY different neighborhoods in a former industrial wasteland.

Also, the viaducts divided Downtown from West Hastings/East Van already.

The main people who suffer are the motorists.