View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 2:06 PM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^^ Guy, I said I wasn't familiar with the area, I looked at the map and saw this: http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...55404&t=h&z=15

Not exactly a nice walkable community. And compared to the area surrounding Edmonton City Centre Airport, yes it is industrial wasteland. Sorry...
Um...that picture isn't the Stapleton redevelopment. It's a commercial development that was built as the former airport closed. Show me how the actual current redevelopment immediately surrounds this picture? Edmonton City Centre Airport isn't close to 7.5 square miles either. Something as large as Stapleton isn't going to have all residential surrounding it on all 4 sides. I don't see City Centre surrounded by residential immediately on all 4 sides. Again, let's get educated and know what we are talking about when critiquing Stapleton. Why are you using a picture of an area of that isn't where the redevelopment is? Using a picture of a commercial development where no one lives? Come on... That's like me stating that City Centre's land isn't a walkable community because I see landing strips, airport terminals, and parking lots. Does anyone live at the airport? Well, no one lives in that commercial development area that you so conveniently took a picture of.

Show me an ENTIRE 7.5 square mile area of Edmonton that starts 6 miles outside of downtown....and let's see if it's an urban oasis....and then let me choose to take a google picture of a small area on the edges of the 7.5 square mile area (no where near where the actual development is taking place right now and it won't begin in those areas for 5 years or so) to try to prove my point that there's an industrial wasteland or sprawl... This is what some of you are doing.

The picture I see of the City Centre airport shows me that I see a very large "wasteland" dump of hundreds of abandoned train cars. I also see a large area of industrial (considering the size of the airport) to the SW of the airport. Interesting...and this is for a much smaller amount of airport land. But what? You're going to say that it's not redeveloped yet? Sounds like what I have been trying to get across. Let's see anyone redevelop an entire 7.5 square mile area in any city and let's see if it is urban oasis within 8 years. I also see a lot of single family surrounding the City Centre airport and the adjacent train dump wasteland..with single family lot sizes much larger than Stapleton. There's also a major mall right on the edge of City Centre. Hmm...and this is so much closer to downtown Edmonton than Stapleton is to Denver's downtown. It's very interesting how folks that are uneducated on Stapleton can critique what they see on googlemaps without knowing what they are talking about...or even realizing it's not part of the development...or even knowing what the plan is that we have kept to.

Again, a 7.5 square mile area TAKES TIME to develop. We are sticking to the plan with lots of density in the areas of development. This is not some small 200 acre development.

Last edited by CONative; Aug 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM.