View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I will literally be an old man by then... I don't want to wait quite that long.

Given the Winnipeg skyscraper building boom that lasted from roughly 1964 (when the Royal Bank Tower went up) to 1990 (when 201 Portage opened), I'm sure that people back in 1990 would have been surprised to hear that a new tallest wouldn't materialize for another generation. If interest in downtown living continues to grow, it's conceivable that we could see more tall residential buildings. I don't think many of the new skyscrapers that will eventually go up in Winnipeg are going to be coming from the office side of things.
I do wish taller buildings were more a norm in Winnipeg and I'm with you 100% that I hope a 465 foot tower isn't the peak of height in the city for another 30 years as Winnipeg marches towards and eventually beyond a million people, I for sure would love to see more tall towers (almost feels like such a massive development like TNS for example is a bit of a missed opportunity with regards to height, despite it being respectable in its own right...eventually bringing us 4 new towers)

But at least right now we've had a steady stream of cranes downtown since the Hydro building. Multiple Residential towers, alt, human rights museum and now TNS to 300 main; I also feel it won't be the end of cranes downtown even if there's nothing super tall on the horizon.

À steady stream is still pretty nice! I do believe that height will be achieved when the parking lots fill up and density is achieved. The ROI will warrant taller towers be it residential or future office. That's what happened in Calgary, downtown is so small and space so premium that even in downturns when something is built it has to be taller. Obviously not the entire picture as to why towers are on the taller side there or Vancouver but it is part of it.

Hopefully we keep seeing a steady stream of towers now that Winnipeg is finally hitting a sort of critical mass of CMA and steady population growth, and momentum downtown for more and more development