View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
that's a Chinatown? I see one Japanese restaurant and a ton of signs in English. I'm not sure if this is still true but last I heard Manhattan's Chinatown was still growing, swallowing up Little Italy.
Manhattan's Chinatown is still extremely large and vibrant, but it definitely isn't growing. SoHo and the Lower East Side have been pushing into Chinatown for a number of years now. Many of the trendiest (non-Chinese) downtown bars, restaurants and boutiques are now in the very core of Chinatown, even on Mott and Doyers St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Of course Flushing, Queens and Sunset Park, Brooklyn continue to boom.
Flushing and Sunset Park are both now significantly larger than Manhattan Chinatown, though Manhattan Chinatown remains large.

There are also lesser known Chinatowns in Elmhurst, Queens (mostly along Broadway), and in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn (mostly along Avenue U).

There's a sixth potential Chinatown now growing in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. 18th Ave. from about 65th to 75th streets is heavily Chinese.

One weird thing about greater NYC is that there are no suburban Chinatowns yet. There are suburban Koreatowns and Little Indias, both in NJ and Long Island, but nothing yet approaching a suburban Chinatown.