Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
The half full train cars wont be that way for long. Those are usually just the downtown line anyway. The crowfoot / shawnessy line is always packed during rush hour and getting more and more packed everyday. I appreciate the observations and the fact that you care to comment, but the trains are never half full on the line that actually goes somewhere. When the west LRT is connected, there wont be anymore half full trains. Part of the really selfish me wishes that they would always be half full on the downtown line...oh well, at least I got 3 years riding basically half-full trains!
I'm referring to the line between Crowfoot and downtown. People used to be nose to nose packed in the trains. Now by 8-8:30 am going into downtown very few people are standing. Last night ~ 5:30 pm the train cars heading to Crowfoot had no more than 5 people in each of them. I almost wanted to video it and post it here, but people probably wouldn't like getting video'ed

I know that's got to change and it's a weird situation on a main line. Perhaps the extra train cars the city bought did a great job relieving capacity issues? Or perhaps delays and issues on the trains is driving people (pun) to drive - in another interesting phenomena like we see one some roadways that work better when capacity is reduced.

As a resident of Scenic Acres I'm highly annoyed that I have to leave the district just to park at the train station. No doubt to prevent what the city thinks are "evil" shortcutters from using the roads in Scenic Acres. To me, as long as there isn't a big problem people should be allowed to park or drive everywhere. If you'd like to drive or park in front of my house so you can take the train then be my guest. I don't own the roadway. Sadly, rules like this deter many people in Scenic Acres from using a train that's in their back yard (too far to walk, too long to bus, and no parking access - plus not enough spots even though this parking lot was planned at least 30 years ago when there were actually cows walking in what is now the parking lot).