View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Sorry for the triple post, but I noticed another, minor thing. I'm not sure what it means, but pointing it out in case anyone has a better idea:

The 2014 capital plan included a $192 million project to modernize the Grove St station by adding more exit/entry stairs and escalators, expanding the mezzanine and adding new stairs to the platform level from the mezzanine, and extending the platform for 10-car operations along the NWK-WTC line. Major work was set to start in 2018. This project (CR02-407 CAPACITY ENHANCEMENTS AND STATION MODIFICATIONS OF GROVE ST STATION ) seems to have disappeared from the 2017 capital plan. Instead, a new project called (CR02-631 RESTORATION OF HOBOKEN, NEWPORT, EXCHANGE PLACE AND GROVE STREET STATIONS) has been added. It only budgets $148 million for all these stations. I'm not sure if it'll include the same capacity and entrance enhancements of the 2014 plan. Does anyone know?

Hopefully most of the upgrades to Grove St are still on the table. As CIA points out, it's packed to the gills. The upgrades would also increase capacity by 25% and relieve congestion on the entire NWK-WTC by allowing 10-car trains.
It's possible that funds for modernizing Grove Street has already been drawn down from 2014-2017 and $148 million is all that's needed to finish the job. There is an elevator installation and other improvements that are already well underway.