View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Speaking of a bridge to Canada, what do you speculate will happen to Michigan Central Depot if the state-sponsored bridge ever gets approved? Moroun seems to be pumping quite a bit of money into that thing right now, but I think Detroit and the state will never absolve that guy no matter how much he spends on the building. Here we are in this awkward predicament of desiring this beautiful building to be restored and reused. I wouldn't put it past him to threaten to demolish it even after he sinks millions into it if the state bridge is approved.
Maroun is sick of being associated with the train station. He's a douchebag, but he doesn't want people to think he is, and handing that huge PR nightmare off to someone else for redevelopment is allegedly becoming one of his top priorities. He has a New York-based investor who's very interested in redeveloping it, and the work he's doing now is the first step. I'm skeptical of anything Maroun does, but I don't think he's stupid enough to vindictively tear down Michigan Central. The public relations fallout and legal consequences would effectively strip him of any political influence he has in the area.