View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I feel like this exposes the demographics of Europe a fair bit - i.e. lots of adults and very few of whom are supporting younger children. Europe has uniquely few children to integrate into its transportation systems, compared to almost anywhere else in the world.

I have a hard time imagining any family with a child under 10 using bicycles as their main mode of transportation... and perhaps many years beyond that. While in theory children could be compatible with things like that bike garage, in reality I just don't see it happening.

And the family "problem" is not a temporary one: even at zero population growth as predicted for 2100, the birth rate in most cities would be much higher than currently seen in Europe. I wonder what the rest of you think about this.
There are people that choose to cycle with kids and even live without cars. I have read stories in the Momemteum magazine about families that do, it won't be me without a car but at least I have no problem riding with young kids on the infrastructure outside of the centre of Amsterdam. For instance riding on this road was quite pleasant. Riding in the busier parts of the centre of town was not easy though for sure.

I would like to see this type of arrangement for King George LRT or the 104th Ave LRT if it ever comes.

All speed limits on shared streets when I saw them were 30km/hr too so that made those streets pretty easy as well.