View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Is Midtown currently capable of hosting matches with at least a couple hundred spectators? I've never been inside and don't know what sort of bleacher capacity there might be. If not, it wouldn't be enough just to build the one large arena; you'd also have to add additional small courts for the early tournament rounds where there are multiple matches simultaneously. It seems like it would be cheaper to achieve that in a location where you can rent an existing large indoor arena, like the UIC Pavilion or the supposedly forthcoming DePaul basketball arena in Lincoln Park (or in the ocean of parking lots near United Center). Midtown's giant parcel on Fullerton next to the Kennedy could fetch a lot of money so maybe you can convince them to sell it and build a new tennis center.
I actually haven't been in Midtown in a few years but from what I remember they would have the ability to bring in bleacher seating for a tournament. I looked online and it shows that Midtown Tennis has 18 courts of play, which should be more than enough. They could spread out some of the courts for the tournament to make way for temporary bleacher seating. Obviously it wouldn't be the capacity for a major tournament but it could definitely be on par with other small professional tournaments, specifically some of the indoor tournaments in the pro circuit.

Last edited by Chicagoguy; May 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM.