View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You mean the Prairie District that's on the other side of Cermak? The section between Cermak and the Stevenson can easily become Weed Street Part II - in fact, I encourage it, considering a brand new transit station will be popping up there soon (albeit one that will close at 2am). There aren't many residential neighbors to complain, just a huge weedy lot that used to be public housing, and blank convention center walls.

Things aren't looking good for the Prairie Arcades, which is the new development proposed for north of Cermak. Some things about it are nice, like the idea of a subterranean grocery store, but others are annoying, like the huge parking lot proposed for the middle of the block, the facadectomy of the ABC Warehouse, or the unnecessary bridge over Cermak (a simple stoplight would be cheaper and far more urban). However, the architectural merits are a moot point because foreclosure is likely.
1) I don't think it is that bad if the area turns into a party area... maybe a little better than weed street but with transit and the nearby lake, this area could turn into a hipper, more avant-garde rush street that serves the sloop area.

2) I hope that Prairie Blocks (I assume we are talking about that, not arcade because I've never heard of that) gets built. I don't mind facadectomies and I think that a bridge over the street, while it cuts up the urban nature of the area, will help make the connection of Mccormick to the city better. The architecture is fine, though I don't like it really, but I am not going to turn down a building in this market because it is ugly.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton