View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Their departure is going to have a impact on a lot of things, caught word today that its happening.

This move, along with others that are in the works is going to open up downtown a lot with regards to office space. So much so that the market for new buildings is going to be tougher then it already is, which obviously sucks.
I don't think it makes things easier; but for Halifax nothing has ever been easy. To be honest, I like a challenge and I think things will come back.

Oil will eventually run out and with the push to go to green energy; I think that is where Nova Scotia should move it's focus. If they were smart; they would begin studying the best places for tidal power to be done and do a solar power study of the province too.

The next step would then be to establish a payroll rebate program for Green Industry, much like Daewoo - it's great we got their plant for Stellerton; but now we need to get more. We need the plants that make the parts, in addition to manufacturing the completed turbines. We need to train people to install them too (if not done already). Then we need to do the same for tidal and for solar; that could be Nova Scotia's future. Thousands of jobs could be created in regions of Nova Scotia that could use it; like the valley or areas on the edge of HRM (so long as they are on the rail line) so that the finished products could be easily shipped into NB or to the port for worldwide distribution. Ahhh dare to dream.

...Meanwhile, back on planet earth in reality (LOL); the government can continue to plug the off shore gas and oil. These companies may leave now; but they will be back when oil and gas get to the right price. Others will come in the meantime - although it worries me that BP has land rights. I think we just need to be patient and in the meantime focus on other industries.

I could honestly see some huge manufacturing plants out in Sackville along the rail line (where it splits to the valley and then off to Truro) where final wind or tidal turbines would be manufactured and shipped. It would be a great advertising idea (if more green jobs are created) - Welcome to Nova Scotia: Green energy capital of Canada. Yet again...I can dream.