View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
You probably had sunfish. They're very similar to Cichlids in appearance, but aren't the same group.

As for the northernmost species, that would be Herichthys cyanoguttatus. It's range extends from central Mexico until the Rio Grande watershed. They can rarely, and I mean very rarely, be found north of that. These findings, however, are due to human (oftentimes pet) release. The conditions are actually not correct in these areas for reproduction or long-term survival, so they quickly die off.
At first thats what we thought that they were Sunfish but my aunt who has a degree in Zoology at UT took a look at them and said they were a type of Cichlid. They didnt have the spot on the sides like Sunfish do either but did have a greyish striped body. Ive heard of Texas Cichlids and there was an aquarium not far from here that sold them though I never did buy any. Either they just have been named that and are not true Cichlids or they are a branch of that family. Its quite possible what I cought was a release of someones pet fish who knows, they were cute and survived the winter in my pond.