View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 2:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

True, and often genuine tolerance is a result of having experienced intolerance combined with common good sense.

For example, it's useless to examine the attitudes of Newfoundlanders regarding visible minorities. Sure, there are Asian, Islamic and other tombstones nearly as old as any Christian ones in our cemeteries, but the number of visible minorities as a percentage of the population was and remains so low that... us talking about our relationship with visible minorities is a bit like "Heather McDonald Reviews Movies She's Never Seen" on Chelsea Lately.

On the other hand, LGBT tolerance education in our schools. It's so passionately supported because we suffered the embarrassing situation of having an extremely, rabidly anti-LGBT high school in a suburban town near St. John's. Heterosexual teachers working there literally quit their jobs it was so offensively bad... I can't even imagine what it was like for LGBT students. That's the experience part of it.

And then, the common good sense: the government was horrified by the statistics about how unsafe Canadian LGBT students feel in their schools, about how LGBT youth make up 40% of suicides in the country. In other provinces, it's being treated as a political issue. Here, it was viewed as a human rights issue and the whole training meant to turn things around was made mandatory. Every adult working in the schools has or will be trained; LGBT people are softly being introduced into the curriculum (i.e. "Mary and her wife Sue each have eight apples..."); new schools must have gender-neutral washrooms, trans students must be referred to (except on legal documents) by whatever name they choose, and on and on.

Usually you need those two things to come together to really make a difference, to get from just tolerating something to the level of acceptance we actually mean when we say "tolerance".