View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:48 PM
Citizen-at-large

Queen Street vs. Slater

While I continue to support the LRT plan as it currently stands due to the greater likelihood of it coming into being, I certainly feel Richard's proposal is a significantly superior plan.

A central goal of effective public transit must be to have it as convenient as possible for as many people as possible. I do not have the means to undertake a quantitative analysis to find the convenience*person score of each option, but on a qualitative assessment, it seems like common sense that having the transit line bisect the densest part of the city rather than skirting it to the north would create greater convenience for more people.

In addition, I feel that Richard's proposed Confederation Square station would actually do more to bring people to Sparks than would the two proposed Queen Street stations. The Confed station could have an entrance right on Sparks Street at Elgin. This station would also fill in the gap in service that has become increasingly apparent with the relocation of the Rideau Station (which I do feel was the right move).