View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 10:12 PM

Southwest Calgary Future LRT

Hello everyone,

What are some comments about fantasy LRT plan for something like this, I know some on here have mentioned a few of these ideas before:

As seen here, total line length from Westbrook to 50th transfer around 8.5km, with around 4km below grade. Potential few more km to connect to SE LRT in future. Obviously not a short/medium term project (momentum for SE LRT, downtown subway etc.) but perhaps on a 2030-2050 timeline?

Rationale:
- Southwest is already going through the first round of infilling and growing density, more than likely to continue, making this project even more attractive in the future as the population grows
- Grid street network supports higher density activity
- Continuing traffic congestion on Glenmore, increasing east-west traffic
- Links to other major infrastructure: MRU, South line LRT, West LRT potential SE line, even a potential Westbrook to University Gondola
- Timeline of 30 to 50 years out, meaning increasing congestion downtown routes, provides bypass for routes
- Stations are roughly 750 to 1000m apart, right in the appropriate distance range for LRT stations
- Price range today of similar to West LRT (plus more for subway portion), perhaps 1.5 to 2.0 billion?

Discuss! I have always thought of this idea as I am parked on the Glenmore Causeway during a snowstorm