View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

Sac State's campus is like a microcosm of sprawl: placed at the edge of town, not at its heart, with lots of low-slung buildings of relatively uninspired design. I mean, it's a fine school, (I'm a student there) but jeez, it's a task to cross from one end to the other! Now, I know there are larger university campuses, but CSUS is so large it's almost unwalkable. It's not quite the giant beast that is UC Davis, or the city unto itself that USC is, but it's close.

I was impressed by a couple of university campuses in the midwest (in Illinois and Wisconsin) that were based in a handful of mid to high buildings in the space of one or two city blocks. While part of the reason for this is no doubt the practical aspects (being able to get from one class to another without putting on three layers of clothing and braving Chicago's horrifying winter weather more often than absolutely necessary) it seems like it would make sense to keep things kind of tightly together.

Of course, I did my undergrad at a relatively small school (HSU) so maybe that skews my perspective.