View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:07 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
Why not try and build up businesses and manufacturing and whatnot in places where people have been drawn to for years now. Wouldn't that make more sense?
I guess the way I see it is that it's just going to be kicking the can down the road. With the exception of the already established, respectably urban coastal powers, the inland regions will always begin decline after a peak unless they can bring something exceptional to the table like location, urbanity, sense of place, institutions, etc. Denver and Chicago are some of the exceptions, I can't see the same for a lot of these other inland southern/sw cities that are so popular right now. I guess what i'm saying is that the power of the metropolitan trajectory doesn't pick favorites, and it's not like old places like St. Louis haven't already been tested and survived, you discount the power of place that' strong enough that many of it's natives that stay (or come back like me) and allow it to grow just enough so it's growing.

I have a what I perceive as a european-like sense of city and region and it's an uphill battle in this vast, scatterbrained, cheap country.

Last edited by Centropolis; Feb 2, 2011 at 4:32 AM.