View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Oh Guliani, but it will be safer calling it Freedom Tower? Yeah, lets try to think of a name that wont attract the attention of every terrorist on the entire planet.
I really don't get why everyone from politicians to the general public think the name has something to do with the WTC being a target. It was, and always will be the World Trade Center. As Guiliani correctly points out, it was 1 WTC when the bomb went off the first time, and it was 1 WTC went it was destroyed on 9/11. I don't think the terrorists will take a "been there, done that" attitude just because the name is still 1 WTC. And it's ironic that the Port Authority seems to think so. I also don't think that Silverstein's opposite approach, giving his towers Greenwich Street addresses (I like Church St better) will deter any terrorist, although his motivation seems to be marketing, like the PA's.

So the WTC has been a target, and will likely remain a target, whatever people wish to call it, simply because it exists. But everyone should be clear on one thing. It is not the only target in a city full of them. So although this is a rebuilt complex, I think this obsession with terrorism needs to be toned down. It doesn't make things any more safe.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.