View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2005, 6:08 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowinUp
^ In what way do you feel Sac is not ready for more major sports? Because of its size? Same size as Kansas City -- Cleveland and Denver aren't much bigger. We are bigger than Milwaukee and New Orleans, Jacksonville and Indianapolis. What's more, we have the 15th largest media market in the nation. We make more money than most of the aforementioned cities.

I didn't say we weren't ready for "more major sports". I said major league baseball is not a good fit for Sacramento. Sacramento (is actually the 19th largest media market, not the 15th). We have the population (2 million in the metro and closer to 3 million within an hours drive of the capitol) We also have the largest media market in the nation without either football or baseball. But baseball just doesn't seem to do well in smaller markets. Sacramento has a small corporate base, and while we can boast about large operations for Intel, NEC and a few other back office operations, (they don't translate into corporate support). Football is much easier for a smaller market to support because of the revenue sharing agreements in the NFL and the fact that much of the money is made based on your (media market size, at least locally for cable contract deals). Also you only have to sell out a stadium a few times each year. Something which would be no problem here.

Besides look how hard it is to build and Arena in this city. Do you honestly think they would ever build a baseball Park that would cost closer to 3/4 of a billion dollars???

Also if this city is foolish enough to let a team the caliber of the Kings leave, then we sure as heck don't deserve another team until we can figure out whether or not we're willing to support the team with first class facilities. (just my thoughts)