View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 10:36 PM

laplLAPL
GoogleSV

While these two shots do not appear to be from the same vantage point, indeed they are. The view is east on 3rd
at Rampart Blvd. The vintage shot is a foreshortened view, which makes comparison here less than ideal...not to
mention the $%#&# tree at right in the recent shot.... Once I get there with my chainsaw, the white steeple at right
will appear in any newer Google Street View shots from Rampart in this direction.... Here it is almost unencumbered:

GoogleSV

The white steeple belongs to the Superet Light Center--which is not a convenience store or lamp shop but rather a
church of a denomination called the Superet Atom Aura Science (your questions answered here). I am sure that we
covered this building (at 2516 West 3rd) here before, but I had no luck searching for it.

The large building at top center in the vintage shot is the old St. Vincent Hospital building, now replaced; the dark
steeple to its right is that of St. Nicholas Cathedral, just recently completed (in 1950), and still on the southwest
corner of Grand View and 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

If the traffic signal says GO and is green, can you ignore the stop sign, or is that only when making a right hand turn? Other intersections were similarly configured. Perhaps you only had to pay attention to the stop sign when it was flashing or lit? In any case, the existence of the two traffic signals appears to be intentional.
We were discussing this not too long ago--I think one speculation was that the reflectorized stop signs might have been placed on signal poles to augment the flashing red light at night-- when the semaphores and green/red lights were turned off due to lighter traffic.