View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:22 PM

I like Sacramento and at times I even hate it, but I never love it. But I want to love it. I just don’t know if that will ever happen. There’s lot of people who feel the same way. One of the most irritating comments made, usually made by the born and raised, is that Sacramento will never change. They are not referring to a particular physical aspect but rather to an "Sacramento attitude" or the local culture. Cities are more than a collection of buildings; they are a collection of people. More than anything else, it’s the type of people who live in Sacramento that create its identity.

While I'll get into trouble generalizing about a group of people as diverse as Sacramentans there seems to be some shared traits by a large percentage of the people here --- Suburban-oriented. Uncreative, milquetoast bureaucrats who hate their jobs. People who deceided to play it ‘safe’ in life rather than take risks. Middle-of-the-road conservative Democrats. Beige and classless. Early to bed, late to rise. Neither charmingly traditional nor appealingly avant-garde. Generally unenthusiastic and astonishingly cynical for having done, been, and seen so little. Dare I say they are generally unsophisticated? I mean Taco Bell was named their favorite Mexican restaurant until the 2000’s.