View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:17 PM
Martian

If he's right about how cheap and fast the system will be, this has the potential the change the world more than the Internet did. He's saying LA to SF in 35 mins for $20, and it's only 35 mins because the capsules won't be able to reach their full potential speeds. For longer distances like NY to LA, he's saying 1 hour if I'm not mistaken. That's insane.

Just like the Internet made the location of information meaningless, by which I mean whether a server or a person is in Germany, Japan or South America it doesn't matter, I can connect to it / them instantly, this will have a similar effect for actual physical locations. If I can get from Nebraska to New York in half an hour, I can literally commute 1,500 miles daily if it's self-sustaining. Imagine if this gets actual funding, like DOD funding in the future and we get the equivalent of an interstate system, you can go anywhere in the country in an hour or less. Where you live will be almost meaningless. Think about what this will do to real estate markets or even the traditional city structure. You thought Los Angeles was decentralized... Of course I'm talking about science fiction, but if its truly this miraculous, cheap and self-sustaining, and there is HUGE demand for it after the initial segment is built, they'll find the money no problem.