View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:27 PM

While we're talking about the Union Oil Center, have we seen this picture of its construction before? It's dated 1956, and all the usual suspects are in the background, e.g. the Edison Building, Monarch Hotel, Architects' Building, Richfield Tower etc.

USC Digital Library

It wasn't until I zoomed in that I noticed that one of the people looking at the progress through the viewing windows was a boy with his leg in a cast.

Detail of picture above.

Another picture we may have seen before is this 1958 shot from the Unocal Building. It's pretty much a reverse of the great color image, also from 1958, that e_r posted yesterday (see here for a reminder). I love the way it captures Bunker Hill being squeezed out by the freeway from the west and new devopment from the east.

USC Digital Library

Here's a closer view of the Civic Center.

USC Digital Library

The photoset has another two pictures. This one just misses the nurses' dormitory, but does include the Hotel Teris and a view down Wilshire to La Brea Park and beyond.

USC Digital Library

The final image looks across the freeway between 5th and 6th Streets. The photoset is titled "Clear weather in Los Angeles (no smog), 1958", and I think that's obvious from how far we can see. I've just spotted the Bendix sign near the right edge.

USC Digital Library