View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:37 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I wish we took rugby a little more seriously in this country. To me, it's a vastly superior sport to Canadian/ American football. Starting a pro league that draws 20,000/ game is not likely to ever happen, however, so there you go - we're kinda stuck.
So do I, it's my favourite sport to watch. Of course a league like that is unrealistic, but people in Canada are almost entirely unaware of what rugby even is or what it looks like.

I think a good start would be for overseas professional leagues to get a bit more time on TV. TSN has 5 channels, might as well use them. TSN already shows Super Rugby on their online on-demand service, so it wouldn't be a big step. Obviously not too many people would watch, but I think those that play it already would at least now be able to transition into watching it occasionally too. Maybe some others could be introduced that way and it could grow at least a little from there.

A strong national team would help too. The 15s program was so exciting 5-6 years ago, but it's gotten worse with every year since then. If they're competitive and able to draw better teams for games, that wouldn't hurt local interest either.