View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:22 AM

Aquatic Centre - 2012 Olympics - U/C
Design by Zaha Hadid

Grey Leighs Racecourse - New Stand - U/C

Trainers and jockeys back new racecourse

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/display.v...racecourse.php
Great Leighs Website - http://www.greatleighs.com/article.php?id=2

THE first official trials have taken place at the new Great Leighs Racecourse, with 20 horses working over distances from five to ten furlongs.

The trials took place on Sunday on the Polytrack course, an 8-furlong, left-handed oval, built to exceed the British Horseracing Authority's minimum specifications.

Ed Dunlop, one of the trainers whose horses took part in the trials, said: "I was very impressed with the racecourse. The jockeys who rode for me were happy with the track.

"Obviously, not all of the racecourse is finished yet and there are things that need ironing out. But I was happy to bring the horses and glad I came. Great Leighs will be a huge asset."

Another trainer, Gay Kelleway, added: "There hasn't been a new racecourse in my lifetime, so it gave me a real buzz to come here.

"It will take all-weather to a new level. It should go global; it is built like an American track and, providing the prize-money is on offer, it's going to attract a lot of interest from overseas, not just Britain and Ireland.

"It's in a very good catchment area to attract new owners and syndicates."

Preview race meetings will be held at the racecourse this month and next, with admission by invitation only. The first meeting open to the public takes place on May 28

Rose Bowl - Capacity Increase to 25,000
Rose Bowl set for expansion
Redevelopment plans get the go-ahead at Hampshire
Last updated: 1st April 2008

Hampshire are set to increase the capacity of the Rose Bowl by 5,000 after the club were granted planning permission to begin £45million development work.

Eastleigh Borough Council have unanimously approved the planning application which encompasses the construction of two new covered seating stands.

Hospitality, media and other facilities will be developed as the capacity of the Rose Bowl increases from 20,000 to 25,000 - making it one of the largest grounds in the country.

A 175-bedroom hotel is also to be built around the northern end of the ground which will include spa and conference facilities.

Rooms overlooking the pitch will convert to hospitality suites and media facilities during major matches at the venue, with the nine-hole golf course set to be developed into an 18-hole course.

The design of the new facilities will make the Rose Bowl the first model Test Match ground in the UK and will enhance the grounds opportunities to host Test cricket.

Rose Bowl plc chairman Rod Bransgrove said: "This decision is good news for the Rose Bowl and English cricket in general.

"It represents one more important step on our journey to build a truly world class stadium and the first model Test Match ground."

The existing nine-hole golf course will be transformed into an 18-hole course after Eastleigh Borough Council approved the application.

Rose Bowl plc chairman Rod Bransgrove said: “This decision is good news for The Rose Bowl and English cricket in general as it represents one more important step on our journey to build a truly world class stadium and the first model Test match ground.”

Rose Bowl plc Group managing director Glenn Delve added: “I would like to thank the members of Eastleigh Borough Council for approving our application which allows us to move to the next stage in the development of this fabulous stadium, a facility which will bring enormous economic, social, sporting and community benefits to Eastleigh and south Hampshire in general.”