View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
That's silly. I've ridden the bus for 10 years and have had a car the whole time. During commuting hours, if I had to evaluate the others on the bus based on their appearance, I would say 80%-90% of them have cars. If you have a relatively easy commute via bus to your job, particularly if you work downtown and would have to pay for parking, and you don't need a car during the day, riding the bus is a no-brainer. I love rail and find the experience more enjoyable than riding a bus, but the bus is just fine.
I've gotta disagree with you Ken, I don't think that's silly at all. I think that's exactly what most people think (really, there's a reason that RTD's rather excellent express bus program can't even dream of comparing with rail for attracting commuters). Bus couldn't really be anymore convenient than it is for me, but no thanks, not when I do have a car available. There are a lot of variables that have to come together there in your equation - easy bus commute, work downtown, have to pay for parking, don't need a car - that's getting to be a fairly narrow demographic, when on top of that you have a stigma to combat. No...my bus days ended with my undergrad. It gives me a headache to jerk around in a loud box. RTD has a long ways to go (technologically) to make buses compare favorably.