View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:59 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Didn't say it couldn't. In fact, I gave several examples. In all of those examples, the visitors are not just left to run hither and yon--they are managed.
So why can't 'they' be managed in downtown Sac with an Arena, regardless of where it is in the railyards?

Quote:
Personally, if I was asked to pick a site for an arena, I'd put it on the north end of the Railyards lot, where the Measure Q/R site was going to be. It still has transit proximity, visibility, and central location, but has more than enough room (a 10 acre parcel zoned for recreational use in the EIR) and isn't jammed in between the train station and the tracks.
This is the most positive thing you''ve said about a Sacramento Arena, but you still find little value in Arenas. How can you ignore one of the greatest arenas in the last 50yrs -- Madison Sq Garden.......Almost every great city has a large scale arena....and most are in the central core.

Quote:
Typically a lot of headaches, and not a lot of fiscal benefit. Generally the neighborhood comes first, THEN the arena.
Yes but what about the historical, cultural and civic benefit?

It doesn't matter if the neighborhood came first. AT&T park had a direct affect on the SoMa-China Basin --- the stadium came first -- I know I lived in that neighborhood in a warehouse-loft conversion when most thought we were crazy for living "down there" and the few who lived there were crazily against the ballpark.

Have you been or seen the neighborhood around Yankee stadium? Chicago's Wrigley Field, Boston's Fenley Park? --- neighborhoods that came first and the ballparks didn't ruin the neighborhoods.

Raley Field - i guess you could say the neighborhood came first despite how tiny that neighborhood is. It doesn't matter.

Quote:
Staples Center didn't have all that much to do with it. .
Well it does now. In this case, Staples Center came first, and now combined with LA Live and new residents it is a lively neighborhood. Parking is "managed" and public transit is highly used (LA's Red line(subway) and Blue line (light rail.)

Last edited by BrianSac; Jan 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM.