View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:02 AM
Fourth and Main

This week's update includes a new office building to add to our list!

322 Green Street Office Building:
Proposed for the corner of Fourth and Green streets in downtown's Village District; this appears to be a 6-8 storey 175,000 to 250,000 square foot office building, with retail/restaurant spaces and underground parking. This is located on the streetcar route. According to rmhpmi at WSTB, the sign with this rendering just went up at the corner of Fourth and Green streets last week! With one of the southeast's lowest Class A vacancy rates for downtown, Winston-Salem is becoming very attractive for office space. To make things more interesting, this developer has purchased all of the properties in this area to develop and they prefer to build office space. This is one of four new office buildings proposed or under construction in downtown's Village District. If you are interested in leasing this new building, call John Reece at 336-978-5263. I would like to thank rmhpmi @ WSTB for finding this proposal. I tried to clear-up the image for posting (below).

WEV New Bldg by matthew_dumont, on Flickr

Did you know? 2.11 million square feet of office space is proposed or under construction in downtown Winston-Salem. Nearly 700,000 square feet of that is currently under construction or about to finish construction, bringing thousands of jobs to downtown. Most of the jobs filling this office space are research and technology jobs. The buildings are usually 60-100% leased before construction starts, so the vacancy rate remains low. Another 400,000 square feet is very close to starting construction.

Hilltop House South:
This is what you will see from your bike, as you ride along the cycle tracks in historic Factory Row.

Source: L.M. Baker Development

Source: L.M. Baker Development

Inmar Headquarters:
There was actually a big event for the awarding of Platinum LEED status. Someone sent me this image to show the ice sculpture of Inmar's new headquarters. This is from developer BioMed Realty Trust. I think BioMed Realty Trust is now the largest property owner downtown by both square feet and by value of their buildings? We are still waiting to see when they start work on a new 330,000 square foot building across the street.

https://twitter.com/BioMedRealty

AFIRM hiring:
The Armed Forces Institute for Regenerative Medicine will hire additional workers in downtown Winston-Salem. This should also lead to them leasing or building more space? They have talked about building a new building before.

Major U.S. Bank Opening an Office in Winston-Salem:
Has the nation's largest bank already signed a lease for one of downtown's new office buildings? We are still waiting to find out more on this, but there is a mystery "financial" tenant signed at a building currently under construction in downtown Winston-Salem that could bring hundreds of new jobs to downtown.

Growing Headquarters:
Winston-Salem's second largest corporate headquarters could nearly double in size and become the largest, if their deal to buy a competitor happens. Reynolds American is reportedly in talks to buy Lorillard in a deal that could be valued at $22 billion. It would create a $15 billion a year company headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem (#183 on the Fortune 500). Reynolds American is currently Winston-Salem's second largest Fortune 500 headquarters at #316. BB&T (Banking & Insurance) is currently Winston-Salem's largest headquarters.

With Winston-Salem based HanesBrands also buying a competitor last year, Winston-Salem should have three Fortune 500 headquarters by 2015.

Winston-Salem is an amazing corporate headquarters center for a large number of internationally-known brands, from food to underwear. Winston-Salem ranks in the top 25 in the nation for most internationally known brands headquartered there and ranks in the top 10 for most internationally known brands per million people in the U.S.,: http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img...12/06/map2.jpg

Civic Plaza:
It's starting to get interesting. The Arden Group is trying to acquire the south site, fronting the park. The county owns the property and would like to see a 15+ storey mixed-use highrise on this site, to generate the most tax revenue. Planning documents seem to show this as well. This site is covered by the Downtown Overlay, which requires "best urban design practices" for the CBD. If the site is cleared for new construction, this could get very interesting.

West Fourth Office Building:
Still waiting on the cladding. Thank you to rmhpmi at WSTB for providing an update. He has more on his original post there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB
Winston-Salem Community Bike Ride:
Do you love to bike downtown Winston-Salem? Want to meet new friends? This event is for you! The Community Bike Ride returns this month! Let me know if you would like more details.

Winston-Salem's Winkler Bakery: The Oldest Working Bakery in the United States (214 years old)

Source

Cycle Tracks Expansion:
Winston-Salem is the only city with anything like this in North Carolina. These cycle tracks will link Winston-Salem State University to the IQ District and downtown Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is serious about cycling infrastructure!

Click here to see cycle tracks: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...6c75.image.jpg
Photographer: Walt Unks @ Journalnow

West End Mill Works:
The Breathing Room appears completed. I thought I would share a few photographs of this multi-building complex. Every time I see what they've done with these buildings, I'm amazed by it. Beautiful work!

Source: Breathing Room

Hoots Brewing Company (@ West End Mill Works):
This brewery is named after their building (Hoots Roller Mill). I really haven't shown what they've done with this space. I think if we started this thread a few months earlier, when this part of the building was being renovated, we would've covered Hoots more. There is a Hipster Warning issued for anything involving West End Mill Works. I do think if you visit, you will love this space. These images are provided by Lindsay Beeson. She reports that everything there is hand made!

Lindsay Beeson

Lindsay Beeson

This (below) is the bar!

Lindsay Beeson

These images (below) are credited to Hoots Roller Bar & Beer Company:

They also have a Flea Market, which I previously didn't know about.

West End Mill Works is without a doubt on my list of places I would like to explore. It's several old industrial buildings converted into a variety of fun uses.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:53 AM.