View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I assume that's a jail, and I hope the architects and client team are in it.
No, but this beauty is:

flickr.com

Harry Weese's Metropolitan Correctional Facility. How could anyone ever advocate something like this being torn down? Same goes for following hospital:

Chicagotribune.com

Same goes for Regenstein Library:

ccjm.com

Same for University Hall:

flickr.com

Or the Seventeenth Church of Christ Scientist:

blogspot.com

These are all fantastic buildings that have, at one time or another, been threatened with mutilation or demolition. They all must be preserved as there were only a handful of buildings ever built like this. They are dynamic, unique, structures that, when you remove yourself from the bias of our times, are actually quite handsome.

The problem is everyone associates these buildings with run down, poorly maintained condition, out of date 1970's interiors, and general obsolescence. When you remove those biases from your mind and think "gee is that a cool looking building or not" you have to agree that they are. They look like something out of Star Wars and are very representative of the aesthetic preferences of the time. You can't tell me the public never liked these buildings because the style pervaded through our culture from Star Wars to Back to the Future. This was the "futurism" of its day and will one day again be popular and cherished.