View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Yeah, this can't end well. When you're a marginalized group, you can't fight all your battles in one day. When I point this out to SJW types, they say I'm saying this from some position of "privilege" and to butt out, but I'm really trying to be helpful in what I think is a pragmatic approach.

When you're a minority and you're at the very bottom, stick to the battles where the division between "right" (i.e. you) and "wrong" (i.e. the rest of us) is crystal clear. Choose fights where the ~1/3 of the people in the more powerful majority who are sympathetic to your cause can explain to their less sympathetic friends and family in a sound bite, or less, without having to explain your painful history in a convoluted way and resort to complexity. That way your support snowballs and it becomes easier to fight the next, slightly more complicated, fight.

It's not fair and it takes a lot of time, but that's how social change actually happens.
I agree they are going about this the wrong way. The end result is that much of the soft middle ends up sympathizing with the "nasties" more than with you, because they view you as unreasonable and even extremist (ironically).

Of course, the current frame of mind in the progressive left (home of SJWs) is that if the soft middle is so "easily" tempted by the nasties, then they aren't worth the trouble and were never going to be any use to begin with. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Fuck 'em.

The problem with this approach is what happens when there is massive shift from the soft middle to the (alt-)right. They may be deplorables or undesirables or subhuman, and your attitude may be "fuck 'em". But there is still a whole bunch of them. You still gotta deal with them.

Sometimes they even take control of the ship. What happens then? Can you still afford to be so flippantly indifferent?

As a member of the above-mentioned progressive left, I've come to the realization that ours is a lost cause. At least for the foreseeable future.

Things will rebuild and bounce back eventually, but it's gonna take a while. I see a fairly long drought ahead.