View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
A datapoint, I suppose:

I'm 24, have a bachelors degree in geology (graduated last June), and still live with my parents. I definitely can't afford to move out yet. Jobs for new graduate geologists have been surprisingly scarce since graduating, and what I do have doesn't pay very much... think lowest tax bracket. (Incidentally, any people with power looking for a savvy, efficient, works well with others or alone, super computer literate, self-motivating, new-ish geologist well versed in stratigraphy, structure, and sedimentary petrology?! )

We'll see how things go for me. If my employment situation doesn't improve, I can see myself going back to school for a masters degree. Though, if I'm going to do that, I feel like I'd rather just dive head first into pure academia and work on something totally impractical but totally cool and awesome.
My son just convocated with a bachelors degree in geology at the same time you did. He sent out applications like crazy and the only one that came through with a job offer was a mining company up at Thompson, Manitoba (they ended up offering him 3 positions). Son was interested in petroleum however, or working for a Saskatchewan company, and thankfully at the same time had a fellow graduate speak highly of him to his head hunter. He was contacted shortly after re a job as a well site geologist up in Northern Alberta. I think it was son's posting on his facebook page that he still hadn't got a job that caught the eye of his fellow grad (son has all the geologists that graduated with him connected to his facebook account).

Now he is saving money to pay off his education/new vehicle/etc. and building up a nest egg so he can get his masters (he has zero interest in living way up there for the rest of his life). The pay is damn good however.

Keep networking with your fellow graduates as I know Head Hunters are still looking for geologists.

Also, going by rigger high school buds of my son that post on his facebook page pleading with him to work for their company, there is quite the want/need for geologists that have English as their first language.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; May 9, 2012 at 7:34 AM.