View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
You've missed both my and LRT Friend's point: run the primary Transitway rail network downtown on the surface initially, then move it into the tunnel once it becomes available. The surface tracks can then be used for the Carling-Rideau line. Yes, that requires a little bit of advance planning in the Laurier and Booth areas to ensure things can link up properly to allow a switchover, but of all the problems I can think of it's pretty far down the list. In the meantime it's time to start putting in place O-Train extensions on existing tracks to divert people from downtown who aren't headed there.

We don't need the tunnel's capacity yet - we'll need it soon, maybe in a decade or so, but not yet. What we do need is a fix for the current problems and we need it ASAP. We no longer have the luxury of thinking exclusively long term - the bus nuts have seen to that - we now have to think short and long term simultaneously and we can't allow the world of the perfect from discounting options.

You missed my point I guess, because I said that the studies are not done, it's not a no big deal like you make it to be. Lots of the EAs could be done in 6 months too but aren't. The St-Clair streetcar route is the perfect example how a "simple" surface option can take years just to finalise. I remember city staff arguing that major EA modification would be required if diesel trains would be used, and it is a big change in noise, pollution, ect. I don't know where you get that it's easy to do an EA for other segments that aren't done, it's just, eh, do the same for the tunnel and start building the tunnel next year too! There's no reason why a surface route can begin next year where a EA is not finished when the tunnel could be done as fast.

The streetcar would have to be on Albert and Slater, mixed with buses, just there it doesn't add much capacity. The issue with capacity is not running trains, it's about using express routes downtown. Streetcars don't add much capacity then buses, especially 3-car long trains.

And yes, a streetcar costs more to run per user than buses, the cost advantage of trains over buses is at 4-cars +.

Everything is perment in this city, soon we'll get save our streetcar group, that said that a tunnel will cost too much and a surface route is fine, then we'll wait ten years for a tunnel and endure lousy service, all over again. DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS