View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:06 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Its been a few years since I've been to Asheville, but the church architecture was very nice. Asheville all around is just an awesome place, one that I love the way it is, and want it to stay exactly the way it is, but I would also love to see more urban development; if that makes sense. Anyways, looking forward to your future installments!
A lot of people here would agree with you in keeping Asheville exactly as it is. As a resident who has struggled to stay here, because we're the most expensive city in the state in which to live, I wish more people were concerned with making the city better rather than thinking it's fine as it is and must not change. If done right, urban growth would be an enormous asset to this city. As far as I see it, a good growth pattern would also help to bring good jobs to town that would make it easier for those of who want to stay here to do so. In other words -- and to simplify it -- I'd love to fill in all those parking lots holes in our urban fabric, and redevelop all the low-slung 1960's vintage crap downtown with some serious office tower and mixed-use development, then fill it all with the kinds of jobs our young people leave the city and go to Charlotte or Raleigh to find.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that I was born and raised here, and can imagine a better Asheville, while so many others moved here from elsewhere because it was paradise compared to what they left. Those people are the ones who don't want anything to change. Seriously. There's a supposed "slow growth" advocacy group (actually a no growth advocacy group) here called P.A.R.C -- People Advocating Real Conservancy -- who went so far as to protest the renovation of an undistinguished 1960's postmodern midrise downtown. They were really that opposed to change of any kind. Our NIMBY's are gem-quality, and could stand proudly beside those of San Francisco.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947