Thread: Jolley Cut
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
One thing with downbound being one lane is the bus stop at the apartment buildings.
True, but you'd have room for a bus bump out there if you wanted - the sidewalk could temporarily narrow and the planted median disappears for the length of a bus stop. it could be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I like your thoughts, however the Jolly Cut is way to bust to take out a lane.
I think that photo is misleading. I could stand there and 23.75 hours a day, 363 days a year and any photo I take would make it look barren and empty. No sense sacrificing the hug majority of time for the 3 days that a snowstorm bogs it down. Most of the other accesses are 1 up 1 down and people do fine. The Sherman access is 1 up/down from charlton and it flows with no problems.

LRT will not likely take from james mountain road. I truly believe we will see a-line on claremont, which is like 3 lanes p and 4 lanes down - more than ample room with no detriment. Man - the jolley has the same throughput capacity as the 403. Claremont has MORE capacity than the 403! Is that really necessary capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
One option might be th have it set up like the sherman cut
thought about this and it might curb some traffic naysayers but I personally think that it over complicates it, and most places with those bidirectinal lanes are working to change them back. I am certain that people would learn to live within a one-lane downbound within about 2 days of installation and you'd never notie the difference. Look at York - they took it down to one lane, and it's a "really busy access into the city" but it doesn't back up to Burlington - everyone learned the new configuration and it's as smooth as it's ever been, it just also happens to be drastically better for cyclists too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
The main curve of the cut is especially dangerous, given its rough pavement and unforgiving lane widths. If this were done correctly, it would be slightly wider with supersmooth pavement much like RHVP, and possibly a median barrier like the Kenilworth access. Then there's enough room for your bike lanes and what have you.
Yep - this cut is going to need some attention soon, and when it does they really need to think about the sidewalk problem as well as bike access. They compromised on the kenilworth construction and claimed "no room for bikes" - we need at least one paved access with dedicated bike and pedestrian space. Not everyone lives right next door to a mountain staircase ;-)