View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:07 PM

I'm not saying I couldn't have fun in Old Sacramento. But once you've been there a couple of times it's pretty boring IMO. I think if they don't do something that once there are other options -like the Railyards, they're going to lose business.

You cited objects but I citied people and their organizations as the main reason for Old Sacramento's lack focus. I do not believe the physical environment has very much to do w/ it. From what I've been able to pick up from the various people I have talked to it's the people who run things in Old Sac that's the problem. But not the only problem to be sure.

The shops and restaurants don't appeal to me at all. What's there to buy if you don't like tacky T-shirts and candy? I know I'm going to sound like a snob but I live in Midtown..why would I go to Old Sac to eat overpriced medicore food with a bunch of rednecks? I'm fine with a mix of people but don't expect to get my dollars when you cater to a small socio-economic demographic. Phil Jackson was wrong calling all of us rednecks but there certianly are still redneck-ish places here and Old Sacramento is sort of one those places.

I say get rid of parking meters and make everyone entering Old Sacramento get a ticket (like at the airport) -then they pay an attendant on their way out. Plant trees! It gets f'kn hot in Old Sacramento too. Old Sacramento used to have huge trees -some right in the middle of the street. It's ridiclously inconsiderate to make visitors suffer. Some restaurants should open up the tall windows so that they can have an indoor-outdoor feel. Allow drinking on the wooden sidewalks. Allow merchants to use neon in the signs. Build a kids playground in the park..... these things would do a hell of lot more than "branding" would.