View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Mystery: Empire State Building Zapping Cars Dead?
CBS 2 Investigates Daily Reports Of Cars Not Starting In 'Dead Zone'
NEW YORK (CBS) ― Is it urban legend or an act of science?

There have been reports of a bizarre phenomenon that some are calling the "dead zone," a five-block radius surrounding the Empire State Building where many say they've been unable to start their vehicle's engine after parking in the area.

And it seems to happen every day at some point -- dead cars in the "dead zone."

"The whole security system will not work. The door will not be opened, the activation of the security system won't work, the ignition will not work," says Rony Yaakobovitch a tow truck operator at Citywide Towing.

kobovitch blames the frequent occurrences on radio frequencies from Empire interfering with and jamming frequencies for computerized security systems on cars. Officials with the FCC and the Empire State Building say there no proof of that, but Yaakobovitch wonders how the vehicles seem to magically be perfectly fine after being moved out of the "dead zone."

"We tow it five or six blocks and the car will start right up," Yaakobovitch says. "[The owners] are amazed, they don't believe it."

Tow trucks operators say the "dead zone" is no secret -- it's been going on for years. Even doormen working along Park Avenue swear there's something coming off the skyscraper and zapping cars.

"It is true, because I've seen it with my very own eyes. I've gone out there and helped people," says a local doorman who only identified himself as "Carlos."

So what do experts have to say about the "dead zone?"

"It sounds a little suspicious. It sounds like more than just random breakdowns in a city. The location and frequency sounds a bit high," says Karl Brauer, an automotive expert. "I believe it's potentially true and I'd want to see more statistics to see if you could confirm something."

I ❤️ NY