View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
You all seriously need to something better to complain about than separate sets of elevators. It's not unusual for lower and upper floors of buildings to have their own elevator bank, and it probably makes even more sense when the lower floors are for seniors. This is a good project, and it will serve many groups and demographics well.

Show me one 12 story all residential building with separate banks of elevators for the lower floors. I'm waiting.

Guess what, its not the elevators themselves I give a damn about, but this is the first project in the City, that I know about, that is building in right from the design onward, some type of enforced segregation, be it based on age or race or income or sex or whatever. The elevators are just a symptom of a larger issue. There are projects that limit it's residents to being above a certain age, or below a certain income and I don't like those either. And if I understand this project it is being financed through accessing certain tax breaks and programs, meaning to some degree we are all paying for it. It can be a generally a good project, good in several ways, and still have major problems.

I'll admit to being particularly aware of age related issues as I have aged into that class called senior, but I will continue to believe that I benefit from being around groups of different ages (and incomes, and religions, etc.) and likewise I have something to offer my neighbors who are much younger then I. It takes a village and all that shit.