View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Once again, I can understand that there used to be a stop on 9th and Girard, however, I would rather see SEPTA construct a subway line underneath the ROW than just placing another stop on the viaduct.

Don't get me wrong: placing a stop on 9th and Girard makes absolute sense, but that would make less sense to operate the regional rail system by adding another station when Temple University is about a half mile away from Girard Ave and having another station would affect the frequency of regional rail trains plus the added capacity when a heavy rail line nearby would provide much needed service for that area.
First, as others have mentioned, a 9th and Girard stop would not have to be used by every train passing by. So not every train would be slowed down.

More importantly, dwell time and overall travel time would be improved system-wide by all high level platforms, and all modern train sets with doors located at the center and ends of every car so people can exit and enter in seconds. We should follow the models of a modern Paris or German style regional rail system that provide vastly more frequent service since we already have the through-running tunnel in place. New (or resurrected) infill train stops in that case would make a ton of sense with vastly improved frequency. Your proposed subway line doesn't make any sense to me. With limited resources, why duplicate an already existing rail line with a subway. Just improve what you have (for far less money) and build a new subway on the Boulevard where it is much more needed.