View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I have to agree - I realize that not all of it will be spent in HRM but still I think at least half will end up there. It's too soon to say that unions or other groups will end up having an influence or an effect - since the contract hasn't been negotiated. My only hope for this contract is the population goes up, better development conditions (higher density) and the NSCC programs expand to really take on more trades to not just deal with the contract, but all the other subtrades. If all that happens, I'm a happy camper.
I edited my post to be a bit clearer.

The fact that the spending won't all be in Halifax isn't some special caveat of this particular contract, it's necessarily true of all spending on that scale and often large chunks of contracts are subcontracted out. The Vancouver contract won't be 100% local spending either. In many cases Halifax-area companies end up getting subcontracts for jobs happening elsewhere.

The negative exceptionalism gets very tiresome. Halifax got a shipbuilding contract but somehow it's mostly fake. Halifax produced 6500 jobs last year (that is huge) but the economy's going to collapse any day now. Halifax had a CWG bid but it wasn't a "real" bid, it was just some sort of ploy. Halifax apartment starts are going up but it's because poor people like apartments.. sigh.