View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 2:30 AM

Evidence? Do you really expect me to scan through hundreds of microfilms from mid-century Hamilton papers / periodicals and footnote my responses? This is not a PhD dissertation...

From the accounts I've read over the years, there was opposition to all of the mega projects that so characterize our downtown today. The concepts of slow-moving / two-way traffic, walkability, public space etc., are not new in any way shape or form. Jane Jacobs wrote 'The Death and Life of Great American Cities' in 1961. While she was at the vanguard of this movement, she was not just a voice in the wilderness; Hamiltonians recognised the pitfalls of modern planning policies, too.

When the roof top plaza was proposed for Jackson Square to appease opponents to the project, people knew it wouldn't work. With no eyes from the street it would be unsafe and unfriendly and big shock, it is.

When Hamilton Place was proposed, people opposed it because they knew it would eventually result in the loss of existing theatres downtown. Again, that's exactly how things turned out.

How about York Boulevard? Do you think there was widespread support for the expropriation of all those businesses and homes? Not a chance.

All of these things happened because the City refused to listen to reason. They had an idea and they were going to push their agenda come hell or high water.

Personally, I feel the onus is on you to discover this 'proof' that you so avidly seek. Happy reading.