View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:46 PM

I like your point number 1 someone123.
But I think the time to move on this is now, when the cost to install a system is cheapest.

I know I go back to that PBS documentary, but the Portland example is the greatest reason to install a streetcar, regardless of whether it ends up on Morris or SGR or whatever.

When they designed the streetcar, they had planned on 3,000 riders a day. They typically see 10,000 riders a day (average). That's huge and totally beyond their expectations and I'm sure today it's probably closer to 15,000.

That also lead to the logic behind the corridor along Hollis and Lower Water - they pointed out that the streetcar was for distances that we (this is how they put it) 'just beyond the comfortable walking distance'. So walking to Scotia Square from SGR for some may be beyond that. But it would be nice and comfortable to sit in an air conditioned streetcar and enjoy the sites.

That's the point I also took from the youtube video I posted about the Vancouver streetcar in the rail thread some time ago. The vehicles were comfortable, leather seats and were about putting the rider first - this was done to show that the typical 'bus' atmosphere isn't the way streetcars function. They can be way more comfortable and encourage people to get out of their cars.

I suspect that the rails under the street would probably not be able to handle the modern streetcar weights, but certainly the rail beds would be a good start in installing a new line.