View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 8:24 PM
BANNED

I don't generally upload pics on this site as it seems you guys are way better photographers than myself, but since I don't see many in this thread I figured I'd give it a go. Hopefully this works:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Reston Town Center Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Herndon Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Innovation Center Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Innovation Center Parking Garage:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Dulles Airport Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Dulles Airport Elevated Track:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Loudoun Gateway Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Ashburn Station:

Silver Line Phase 2 - Ashburn Station Parking Garage:

BONUS PIC: Purple Line Tunneling:

Thoughts:
So, I actually do like how all the stations (except at the airport) are virtually identical as I'm sure that probably saved a few bucks. However my overall impression is pretty negative. The entire route runs in the middle of a huge highway well out into the suburbs and all of the stations (including at the airport) are surrounded by parking garages ans/or parking lots. There was definitely some new development along the route, but even that was mostly low density and car oriented. It's just frustrating seeing this heavy rail system being built knowing it will probably only reach 10% of its full capacity (not that it ever could reach 100% due to the bottleneck downtown). Being a transit enthusiast in the US kind of sucks because you either get lines like this built out in the suburbs with incredibly low ridership or you get urban lines that cost literally 5-10x what they would in most other countries.

Last edited by BrownTown; Aug 19, 2018 at 8:48 PM.