View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Looking for forgotten "city" songs! Canadian forum members will likely remember this song...
Video Link

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Workers poured the walkway near the arbor, installed the fence around the electrical equipment, and added vents to the mechanical room(s).

Notice the steps, leading up to the arbor:

Credit: holmes.j

Credit: kinablack

Credit: lieryn

Credit: WFIQ

Credit: piedmontfederalsavingsbank

The O'Hanlon:

Building on the right side:

Credit: kkcharley

8 West Third Apartments:

Credit: breakfast_at_coles

The under construction Hampton Inn & Suites (purple building) can be seen in the photograph above, too.

8 Essential East Coast Beers:
Winston-Salem-based Foothills Brewing's People's Porter is the only North Carolina beer on Full Service Restaurant magazine's list of 8 essential east coast beers. They describe it as "a little taste of London by way of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Foothills Brewing drew inspiration from English porters of old, creating a brew that’s got all of the roasty goodness one would expect from the style, but with a flavor that tilts a bit more toward dark chocolate and toffee than coffee."

https://www.foodnewsfeed.com/slidesh...st-coast-beers

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: kkcharley

Night view, with all of the lights on:

Credit: Krista Charley Karcher‎

Footnote:
Sunnyside Millwork does amazing work. I always enjoy updates from them.

"Layout and framing" the bar:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

322 North Green:
We now have better renderings of 322 North Green. It was planned as a single tenant corporate headquarters, reaching 250,000 square feet in size, with underground parking. Plans also show retail spaces, art sites, and park spaces.

Credit: archinect

The Fourth Street park area:

Credit: archinect

Downtown Marriott Renovation:

Credit twin_city_quarter

Marriott on the left and Embassy Suites on the right (both are renovation projects on our list):

Credit: alxbrke

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
What I reported months ago is now confirmed: The retail tenant is Canteen 411 Gourmet Market & Bistro.

This architectural detail is the logo for the market & bistro:

Credit: Canteen411

Photographing the architectural details, such as the photograph above:

Credit: theporchws

Credit: Canteen411

Credit: theporchws

Common area on the creative/tech company office space floor:

Winston-Salem Among Top Tech Cities:
Spectrum News is reporting Winston-Salem is the #2 tech city in the nation among cities its size.

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Credit: uwforsyth

The new hotel looks small on the skyline:

Credit: wesr101

Credit: wingsoverwinston

Street wall:

Credit: _chap

Gallery Lofts II:
This project is now applying for demolition permits. Work could begin in January 2018?

1794 Boys' School Restoration:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Home Prices in Winston-Salem Continue to Increase:
According to CoreLogic, Winston-Salem's Metro Area had the second highest home price increase in North Carolina, at 6.1%.

I'll post all of the home price increases in the big N.C., metro areas, so you can see your city:
Charlotte: 6.9%
Winston-Salem: 6.1%
Durham: 5.6%
Greensboro/High Point: 4.9%
Raleigh: 4.7%

More and more people are talking about how the tech boom in downtown Winston-Salem is increasing the price of housing. It is increasing.

MINIM:

Credit: Elephant in the Room

West End Station:
It's rare to find any photographs of this massive apartment project!

Work on the parking under the building (Notice this is below street-level):

Credit: lithkocontracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum
LGBT Equality Index Ranking:
Several Winston-Salem headquarters appear on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Equality Index. BB&T and Womble Bond Dickinson are downtown Winston-Salem headquarters with perfect scores. Other companies in Winston-Salem also did well, including RAI and Hanesbrands.

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Credit: lambert_architecture

Awesome!

Credit: susantinteriors

I wish I had this wallpaper in my house:

Credit: DWSP

Cyclocross Bicycle Course:
The National Cycling Center is constructing a European-style cyclocross race course for bicycles on the north end of downtown. The site's rough terrain is perfect for this use. It's currently under construction, just north of the IQ District and Goler Depot District. I guess this is in downtown's Northwest Industrial District? Zach Lail is the course designer. Construction will be completed on January 7, 2018 and North Carolina's cyclocross finale will be held here. It should be great news for the new downtown hotels. The course will be open year-round and add another attraction for the city's fast growing cycling culture.

Construction starting on the massive cyclocross course:

Credit: winstonsalemcyclocross

It's a very large site and you can see the tops of a few downtown skyscrapers:

Credit: winstonsalemcyclocross

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
Is this project completed? It was scheduled for completion last month.

Credit: breakfast_at_coles

Rainbow Road, as cyclists call it, lit in purple:

Credit: my_small_wardrobe

It appears as if the path, on the other side of the bridge, is completed or near completed?

Credit: lauren.e.coffey

Passageway Park:
Work appears to have started on the second phase of this project, to update a Brutalist concrete pocket park / walkway design.

Adding lights in the Brutalist wall's groves:

Credit: Larry Hall

Off-Subject:

Hockey:
Did you know: The Triad's hockey team is located in Winston-Salem. The Carolina Thunderbirds play in a building called The Annex. If you live downtown and want to see a game, take Cherry Street north. It will merge with Marshall Street to become University Parkway. Turn right on Deacon Blvd., and look for a large sign that says Annex.

Credit: carolinatbirds

Random Photographs:

Credit: jwlindsley

Credit: whateverwhateverno

The dive bars of downtown Winston-Salem... on a rainy morning:

Credit: violasbabygirlsventures

A place downtown where you can design & make puppets, costumes, props, and set pieces for theatre:

Credit: simplyseton

They (photograph above) also have animatronics, sculpting, and a section for lighting.

Fall color:

Credit: wesr101

Credit: phelps.todd