View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 10:06 AM
Uniting Europe

Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
Yeah it does.

For a part because some countries:

1st: See the USA as an extension of their culture and are reminded the good old times of their empire.

2nd: Are still terrorised by the idea of Soviet tanks rolling on their capitals and support everything from the other side of the atlantic. Including illegal jails were people were imprisoned without charges.

Now I take cover because the Blue Army is gonna try to nuke me.
Stop peddling your prejudices. France has always tried to shape Europe in its own image, De Gaulle certainly viewed it as an extension of France. The UK and others are actually better europeans than France who has one of the worst records in actually implementing EU law.

Detritus, most people in the UK want a more independent foreign policy, hell even Margaret Thatcher had arguments with Reagan.

Anyway the USE won't happen with a signing of a treaty and overnight all 25 nations disappear. It will occur gradually, so one day we will look back and realise we are basically operating as one country.

But Swede is right their is a difference between nation and state, the UK is a good example of this we have a multi-national state with Welsh, English, Scottish and Northern Irish all being the constituent nations that make up the UK state.

You can have more than one identity, I am English, British and European.