View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:33 PM

While discussing the viaducts, I'd just like to point out that even though Vancouver is widely regarded as being "green" we do not have a single pedestrian centric street in the city.

-Granville will have wide sidewalks, which is nice, but blocking traffic for the douchbag festivals on Friday and Saturday nights does not equal a pedestrian street.
-Granville Island is quite good, but there is a constant flow of traffic looking for parking in parkades disguised as buildings
-Yaletown has some nice extended loading docks to stroll upon, but down the steps are angular parking lots disguised as streets.
-There's some indoor shopping malls around town
-there's always the seawall

I'm not talking about banning cars from streets, I'm talking about streets so full of people you'd rather take another route in your car. The idea of people making free decisions based upon the critical mass of the situation. (no relation to once-monthly aggressive hippy bike squads)

If the city wants to accept the progressive-eco-friendly-green-carbon-offset label with a clear conscious, I think we need to seriously consider making areas better for pedestrians, cyclists, and public transit users. The road use changes being made to accommodate crowds the Olympics might be a great first step, and maybe some of them will be so successful as to be rendered permanent.